You have been pierced under the strictest of hygiene.
From this point on, your piercer is not responsible for any infection or problems you may have with your piercing if you don’t take proper care of it.
Aftercare for body piercing is vitally important to ensure that the risk of infection is minimised. Always have your body piercing done by a professional piercer, as sterility and hygiene are of the utmost importance.
General Piercing Aftercare
- Do not touch your piercing on the first day.
- The entrance holes will need cleaning with salty water or a saline solution twice a day for at least four months.
- When you feel ready, usually after about five days, you can rotate the jewellery. Clean the external part of the jewellery (with an anti-bacterial soap and rinse it with saline) before moving it through the wound. Afterwards ensure all residues of soaps or lubricants are removed and the piercing is thoroughly rinsed with salty water or a saline solution. You need only do this twice a week but continue with salty water or a saline solution on the other days. Be careful of using solutions without seeking advice first.
- Do not use a soothing cream or anti-bacterial lotion on the site, as these will seal the piercing.
- During the healing process, do not take the jewellery out to clean. If prolonged or major irritation occurs, consult your G.P.
Tongue Piercing Aftercare
- Swill your mouth out with sterile salt water solution at least 4 times daily and after meals.
- Do not eat chilli, curry or any other hot spicy food for approx two weeks.
- Drink plenty of iced water to reduce any swelling.
- Avoid any mouth washes or alcohol for at least 7 days.
- Refrain from smoking while your tongue piercing is healing.
- Do not manipulate, remove or try to change your new piercing.
Healing times vary from person to person depending on many factors such as lifestyle, diet and stress.
If there are any problems with your piercing it is vital that you contact your piercer, we will be happy to advise you.
Do not try to remove the piercing yourself.